28 October 2007

What I'm Sure You Were All Waiting For...

First let me say sorry for my lack of updates, i'm currently working on a speech for class and it is taking a lot of my time. On a side note, my speech topic is about the evolution of the video game industry so at least my time is being kept relevent. But my real intention with this post is to give my impressions of Jericho now that I am about 3 hours into the game. Brad and David both seem to be very turned off by this game and David apparently thinks it funny that I enjoy games that have recieved somewhat negative scores. But here goes:

First off, let me start by saying that game sites like 1up.com have really trash talked this game on a ridiculous level by pointing out a lot of its faults. Heres the thing though, while their complaints are mostly justified, the faults they point out are not as severe as they make them seem. On the other end of the spectrum, game magazines like Play have rated it higher than it deserves as usual. So heres my take on it. First, ill point out that this game is a hell of a lot better than Lair. That is saying something right there. On the other hand, the game does suffer from things like weak weapons, repetitive enemies and environments, and chaotic battle mechanics that usually show themselves when attempting to change characters mid battle. However, these are usually not so bad that they distract from the thrill of exploration and discovery. The game does have a rather creepy feel and look to it and the creatures are just downright disturbing. One thing I hated about other reviews, is that they wouldn't shut up about the terrible voice acting.... but the voice acting isn't terrible! It may be a bit bland at points and repetitive during gameplay but it is far from terrible. On another note, I do like the premise of the story and the characters even though they aren't developed as well as they should have been. My main complaint is that some points in the game just get ridiculously hard to survive. I can't give my final score right now, but i'm predicting around a 6 or 6.5 out of 10. I will say this, I am thouroughly enjoying the game despite it's faults and I am happy with Barkers vision that he was trying to portay.

O yeah, I really want to pick up Guitar Hero III......

-Nick

2 Responses to “What I'm Sure You Were All Waiting For...”

David said...

My biggest thing with the game is that it's sick. I mean Barker is one messed up cat.

Also since your speech is on the video game industry, I guess we should record it and post it on the site, don't you think?

Nick said...

You must not be into horror much because the game is designed to be scary and disturbing which it does rather well for the most part. It's definately not for everybody but it is definately a decent game if nothing more.