07 October 2007

Re: David

I'm by no means here to defend R&C. We all know King Kai created spherical worlds.

My problem is you are so much more acidic towards this R&C series which never pretends to be more than it is. This most recent comment from that Marketing Director, to be honest, sounded like more of a joke. Who really knows.

But to say Nintendo is always innovative a couple of days after you post about how much Zelda is still the same is a little crazy. You seem much more forgiving when it's a Zelda game. Also maybe because they don't come out very often. But isn't that even more reason to innovate? My guess is the new R&C is going to be a lot more different than Yoshi's Island 2 was to its predecessor or New Super Mario Bros was to its. It's one thing to praise Miyamoto.... but to lump his ideas and the rest of Nintendo's developers together is crazy talk. I would prefer you came off as a Miyamoto disciple than a Nintendo fanboy.

As for that demo.... I've only played one game in the series, the third game, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I tried to go back and play the other games, but they don't have the FPS style control scheme that I think makes the third game work. I heard that the demo for the PS3 game didn't have this control option so that would really really suck. As for the gameplay... yeah... I saw videos of this thing. It's the demo everyones been playing at these expos. After only playing one game, even I was worried that it seemed like I've seen it before. And while it seems, because of this demo, that you should avoid the game entirely... understand it's just a demo. Now I can't say it is representative of the full game. I have no idea. But if someone showed me just the first dungeon in Twilight Princess or Phantom Hourglass, or maybe the first world in any Super Mario game as a demo level, I would also be extremely unimpressed.

So for the time being (and because I love video games) I'm going to hope the R&C demo was just a bad demo and not representative of the full game. I do respect Insomniac to a degree, and they said that they feel this is the best game they have ever made, and I'm curious to see how it pans out.

PS I posted this in full post because it was too much for the comments section.

No response to “Re: David”