12 October 2007

Video Game Movie

I just finished Reign Over Me. The movie with Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle. It's the movie about the man who lost his family in 911 and how his life changes when his college roommate runs into him and sees the shell his life has become. It got a lot of buzz from the video game community over the fact that Sandler's character is constantly playing Shadow of the Colossus. So I decided to check it out to see what the hoopla was about. First off, it's a good/great movie. I'm still not too sure how good/great it is. I'll have to let it sink in a little bit before I make any actual opinions. Secondly, and this is not exactly disappointing or anything, but the game was a very very very minor focus of the movie. It could have easily been replaced by anything, not even a video game. They didn't explain the epicness of the game's story or why you were fighting the Colossi. It was just the character's fixation on playing games to distract himself from other things. What's worse is that they kept calling it SHADOWS. Plural. It makes me wonder why the game was chosen for the movie. Initially I thought it had some tragic tie in with loss. Maybe it was someone's favorite game so they decided to use it as a personal effect. What I'd be really worried about is if that's just Sony's advertising dollars hard at work. That would totally disgust me and cheapen the movie and one of my favorite games. It's quite possibly the case so I'm trying to avoid thinking about it. Some times it's best to to think about painful memories and just pretend they never happened.


David

No response to “Video Game Movie”