05 October 2007

On The Dot

I'm predicting that my XB360 will come back in the mail today. It's been exactly a month since it broke (not shipped). It's not exactly that I have time for an XB360. I'm swamped with games to play and seeing how "the biggest video game launch in history just occurred," Lost Planet may not be the first XB360 game I pop in when I get it back. I have to say I am a little fed up with Microsoft. It's not like I can write them off, but I'm wondering if or why other people don't more often. I mean faulty XB360 and scratched Halo discs. I know a few people for said screw it and went to the PS3, but it's not like Sony is doing that much better of a job either. They're still lacking games and the Playstation Store is a joke. There's a lot of spectacular games coming out, but really I'm just not that excited. I am really enjoying Phantom Hourglass. But that's only because of the new control scheme and "timed" dungeons. If not for that, it would be the game the same Zelda formula I've seen since the SNES. Semi-funny characters. Coward partners. Can't buy bombs because no bomb bags. Let's get the boomerang in the first dungeon. Save up enough rupees to buy a shield. Is there no possibility in change of the game play? Does anyone even want to see that? Thank goodness for Nintendo dramatically changing things in their portable and console. But now I'm more worried about where games will go from here. Where will the next innovation come from? I know it's a little early to start thinking about this kind of thing, and there's plenty of things they can make on their current consoles and even the next console. But if you stay to happily content in one spot, you die. You always need to be challenged and either be chasing someone or have someone chasing you. Write that down.

I really don't care right now when my Xbox 360 comes back. I'd like to play Halo and the Orange Box, but honestly I don't really feel like giving Microsoft too much money right now, especially since they have so much. I am considering a Zune 2 though.

David

One response to “On The Dot”

Brad said...

Most every Zelda game starts out very similar. Three dungeons with like 3 crystals or some crap. It's almost kind of charming in a fuct up sort of way. The good Zelda games really change things up after awhile though. I'm not very far yet so I can't say this one will, but we will see.

If you want a "different" 2d Zelda game, try Minish Cap or the GBC games. They always have pretty cool items. Maybe you Link just doesn't do it for you anymore?

Zelda doesn't do so well in Japan anymore, they prefer non-games and mini game collections almost exclusively now. That and Crisis Core which has already sold a ton more than Phantom Hourglass. I guess I was right back in the day with the FF7 vs Ocarina nerd fights.