04 January 2008

Thoughts and Such

So I've been able to post Nick's Top 5 Duos. Check it out in the Top Five Section.

Brad posted about the PSP and we got to talking about the DS and Nintendo. He kind of "dared" me to do the same thing for the Wii. So here goes. I won't mention Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess cause its a GameCube game. So I'll just basically say Super Mario Galaxy and Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition. Those are the two games that I enjoyed this year on the Wii. Now I don't think that the Wii is the best system and I don't think its horrible either.

But this did get me thinking however. For those who don't know, I work in video game retail. From watching sales for the Wii during the holidays, I'm extremely worried. Not so much for the future of the Wii. Sure, there's tons of crap coming out for the system. And while I'm not terribly happy with the current releases for the system, it's not exactly any worse than the GameCube days. What I am more worried about is the current state of the Nintendo franchise Metroid. The future is looking extremely bleak for the franchise as I think it has run into a dead end. Sure the last couple games have garnered average to above average reviews. But where to now? Samus has long made the jump into 3d. They've added Wii controls to spice things up. So what is possible for the next game? The whole collect X number of artifacts and regain lost power ups is getting pretty dried out. Brad pointed out to me that this would be the next gen factor would come in. Imagine the new Metroid with the graphical capabilities of the 360 or PS3. My brain pauses to let my imagination catch up with the thought. But it's not possible on the Wii, is it? We discussed the possibility of going for a more artistic graphic design. Or of Metroid possibly going back to 2-d. I don't really see Metroid playing a vital role in Nintendo's future. I mean for goodness sakes, I sold more copies of Godzilla Unleashed than I did Prime 3 during the holiday rush. We still have double digit copies of the game sitting in our cabinets and that's just pathetic. I've got faith that Nintendo won't just let one of their big three die out. But I think it'll be a while before we see Samus in a full blown Metroid game. She completely skipped out on the N64 so it may just require some time before she can recapture all of her status again.

My final thought within a year's time Zelda, Metroid, and Mario all made their Wii debuts. All of which I think I've grown a little tired of. Nintendo has shown most of their hand already. What do we have in store for the future? Mario Kart and Smash Bros. That's great, but done before. Where is Disaster Day of Crisis? Cancelled? Where are the Animal Crossing's and the Pikmin's that surprised me on the GameCube? Is Wii Fit the answer for the future? I guess we'll find out this year.

Thanks for listening,
David

No response to “Thoughts and Such”