03 January 2008

The Mass Effect

So I've been putting some real time into Mass Effect. I love the story mechanic and hopefully this week on the show we'll be able to talk about the differences in how we handled certain situations in the game. This is really the first western RPG that I've really given a chance to so I've been really overwhelmed (in a good way) with the amount of things you can do. The amount of side missions is completely negligible for someone like me.

My only problems however spawn from the lack of polish. It's a great package but the pop in and the lack of instructions in everything from the Mako controls to the ability system is just disappointing. It's a huge game with loads of things to do but you're just dropped into the world to fend for yourself. If I wasn't able to ask Brad about questions I had about the game, I'd still be ass-backwards lost in the Citadel. Even some of the puzzles you're pr ivied to come without really any understanding. Another thing I'm having a problem with is the choices in dialogue. Sometimes I'm a little confused with the answers that come out of the choices you're able to make. The choices will show one thing but the answer that comes out of Shepard's mouth, completely different. It makes it real frustrating when you expect to say something polite and understanding and end up making an ass of yourself.

I'm sure there's plenty more things to discover and talk about as I'm only about six hours in. I'm finding it really hard because I've had to do a couple parts over again because of crappy save spots.

We'll see how this all turns up,
David

No response to “The Mass Effect”