24 September 2007

Yawn...Is it Halo already?

So apparently Halo is coming out tonight. I don't want to be the one who's gonna be the Halo buzzkill but someone has to do it since Brad is only thinking with his dick. First off, I've given up on collector's editions for quite some time now, especially ones that give you a crappy metal case a bonus dvd. And Nick canceled his Limited for a regular. So we're both covered on the scratch protection. Thanks to all our fans for the concern!

Brad had me watch Jeff Gerstmann's review of Halo 3. I guess he was trying to get me "psyched" for the biggest game in video game HISTORY!!!! There are some cool things about the semi-map editor. But honestly I'm not the type of person who's going to sit there for three hours messing with one game let alone one map. I've always liked the idea and always wanted to take advantage of such options, but my character won't allow me to patiently wait everything to fit into place and mess with things until they are where I want them. I think a lot of this has to do with the controls that are used to pull of customization. The few times I remember really getting into map editors was for Brood Wars and StarCraft. And that was on a PC with a mouse and keyboard. A controller is rarely is best way to implement such features. Which is my fear with the upcoming game Little Big Planet. Creating seems to be such a big part of that game and I don't feel I'll want to deal with possible frustrations in creation.

One positive thing I will have to say about Halo is that it has always had good music. The theme is rather inspirational and other themes are mood setters. It's a good soundtrack, but not exactly spectacular. And with the incorporation licensed music from bands I feel it's only going been going downhill.

While I am excited about the 4-player co-op mode, recently we've begun discussing when the "get together" is actually going to happen. So of course the new problem is when are we actually going to be able to get four players to run through the entire game co-op mode. Our work schedules fluctuate and vary and Nick, Travis, & I all go to school during the day. So I'm beginning to worry about my Halo experience and purchase will turn out. I have to easy Brad's mind a little a assure him that I will be picking up Halo 3 and will play it. And don't worry because I'll be sure to "FINISH THE FIGHT!" But only when Microsoft hurries their ass up and sends me back my, hopefully fixed correctly or replaced with a console with HDMI out, Xbox 360.

Oh, one final note. I was excited to hear from Gerstmann that the ending makes sense and that it concludes the trilogy well. I'm very skeptical that this is the last we'll hear from the Halo series. Halo Wars is on it's way and I know Microsoft isn't just going to dump their biggest cash cow for good. People probably pick up pretty heavily on my anti-hype but when you're surrounded by Halo "taglines," crap like keychains, magnet and sticker sets, and kids and fanboys screaming about Halo all day, you kind of get tired of it. Plus I'm a completely different game player than most of the people who want to have Halo's baby. I'm not really a big FPS player, I'm really into Japan Culture, I play more music/rhythm games, and I'm more about saving the Princess than being a badass. If it gives you any incite about me, my favorite part in the first Halo was the escape in the Warthog at the end of the game.

3 Responses to “Yawn...Is it Halo already?”

Nick said...

I was a very annoyed when I read that Halo 3 has the best soundtrack in video game history! Sure, it's decent and it's instantly recognizable but its hardly the best ever composed! As for David's comment about the implementation of mainstream artists doing music for it, I am going to defend Halo 2. My favorite band actually performed the main rock theme from Halo 2 and it turned out pretty well. I can only hope that they bring Breaking Benjamin back to do one for Halo 3... and no David, I dont care what you think about that.

Brad said...

I have Wednesday open 6pm till whenever and my Friday is completely open.

We need to hit big chunks of the game in one sitting.

Nick said...

Wednesday evenings are good for me as well. I do need to make sure my apartments crappy internet connection can handle it though.