08 September 2007

Daxter Impressions

Hey guys, I picked up my PSP redesign yesterday and I am happy to say that so far it is a satisfying investment. David and I already talked a little bit about our impressions of the redesigned system in a podcast we recorded last night so ill skip talking about that right now. However, I did pop in Daxter which came bundled with the system and I thought I would go ahead a give my initial impressions being that I really haven't had much to play recently in the hand held department.

Luckily, this game really has me excited about the future of the PSP. Some of the earlier games didn't show much promise but I think this handheld is finally starting to pick up slack. For those of you who don't know what Daxter is, it is a spin off of the PS2 platformer, Jak and Daxter. This time however, it puts the player in the shoes of Daxter, Jak's wacky, Otter/weasel sidekick who is on a quest to save Daxter after having been captured. The great thing about the Jak and Daxter franchise is it's excellent design and great cartoony feel and luckily, none of that has been lost in this game. The animation and level design is every bit as beautiful as its playstation 2 counter part. I've only completed the first mission of the game in which Daxter is hired by a bug exterminator and is asked to exterminate the bugs in a large hotel. The controls are very smooth and simple to get the hang of. Daxter is moved with the analog stick while x is for jumps and square allows you to attack. The camera can get in the way at times but it can usually be easily corrected with the left and right shoulder buttons. I'm very happy to finally have a portable game that I can really sink my teeth into. Im also getting very excited to see where the PSP goes from here because this game is simply stunning. I intend to play Daxter on the side and hopefully give my first full review for a handheld game sometime within the next month. Catch ya'll later! Peace!

No response to “Daxter Impressions”