17 September 2007

Ratchet & Clank Impressions

Call me jaded. Too picky. Or out of mind. I am thoroughly unimpressed with the new Ratchet & Clank demo for the PS3. It's on a brand new shiny new system, but you can't fool me. It's the same old plain bar of chocolate wrapped in a just slightly new wrapper. Granted it's just a demo, but the weapons are just variations of previous weapons, the game play is completely unchanged (for the worse) and worst of all Quark is still bumbling around as a main character. Nothing is changed. The camera is still clunky, the weapon change is frustrating, the platform mechanics are sub-par, and the aiming and strafing controls are horrendous. The visuals which are supposed to be amazing and tout the power of the PS3 are very uninspired. I can already predict the turret levels, the futuristic racing level, some sort of puzzle door opening mechanic, and bosses with multiple forms that are near impossible unless you have completely upgraded and have the best weapon in the game. I guess if I were a 12 year old kid, this would be my dream come true. But I'm not so it looks like I'll be passing this game up, quite happily. I have three predictions. The game will garner medium to medium-high reviews. Nick will pick it up and enjoy it. I will make fun of him for it. That's all I have to say about that.

Oh yeah, one more thing. At one point you're supposed use the sixaxis controls to steer Ratchet as he's falling but they didn't even work. I don't know if it's something with the demo disc but I know it's not my controller. And yes I had the option turned on.

3 Responses to “Ratchet & Clank Impressions”

Brad said...

Now if only he could pause time...

Brad said...

And I'm going with jaded, too picky, and out of your mind.

My guess is the demo IS underwhelming. The series has been more of the same for awhile now. But R&C is still fun in a genre seriously lacking nowadays. Your impressions seemed overly acidic.

Nick said...

First of all David, I played the demo too, it didn't impress me... in fact, I didnt even finish it because I was bored really quick. If this was a new Jak and Daxter for the PS3, I would probably pick it up even it was the same old gameplay. Unfortunately I have never been impressed with Ratchet and Clank and I will continue to stick with that.