19 September 2007

My Turn for TGS

I guess since Nick called me out like that, I've got to respond to his and Brad's TGS posts. First let me start off my saying, I want to go to TGS next year. I don't know how, but let's make it happen. So let me start off by saying there's nothing I'm really expecting out of TGS this year. I do expect a few new Wii titles to be announced and for Sony to get some damn game support. The new Team ICO game will be nice as well as some info about Suda 51's No More Heroes. But mostly everything at TGS is something we've been waiting on for quite sometime. I'm not going to go out and name names, mainly because I'm tired of saying I'm excited about the same games, which are STILL on my list nearly two years later. With that said I believe TGS is wide open for me. I'm ready for someone to come in and steal my attention from all the big hitters. I hope that someone can completely surprise me with something new and unexpected.

Oh and that new Vanillaware game for the Wii does look interesting. To answer Brad's question about why that isn't something like that on the PS3?

Too costly. They've already made the graphics engine and used it on two similar looking games. The infrastructure is set in place. For them to go and create something new to accomadate for the PS3's "potential," I don't think Vanillaware is financially set up to take that kind of risk. Nintendo has been smart with the Wii. They've catered to developers and we're seeing that developers take interest with ports and remakes and hopefully soon original titles will start popping up. I know it's a bummer to not see some of this new stuff for the "next-gen" consoles with beefy graphics, but then again who says better graphics and more power are the only way to create something fresh and entertaining. Crisper visuals and more on-screen enemies are not going to make the next platformer on my to-buy list. If you look at the existing trend with games on new consoles you always find that the games at the end of the console life cycle tend to be the cream of the crop as well as look phenomenally better. So then aren't we just limiting the gameplay possibilities by always trying to jump to another more powerful console and starting the trend all over again? I'm looking for someone to stop worrying about outside forces like a budget or learning how to develop for a console and focus primarily on something like creativity. If there were any time for something like this to happen, it'd be this years' TGS. So maybe I was mistaken about not expecting something out of TGS this year. Maybe what I meant to say was, I expect the world out of TGS this year.

No response to “My Turn for TGS”