08 November 2007

The Quest for a Good Wii Game

Super Mario Galaxy is entering our atmosphere and will be here early next week. Hopefully we'll finally have a solid Wii game to play. My system has been nearly motion-less for the last 3 months, but recently a new game has me waggling the Wii Remote again.

Zack & Wiki by Capcom is an point and click style adventure game. I know, that type of game play can be lame and slow-paced if not done correctly. But so far I love the game. The controls aren't anything super spectacular. They're all basic motion controls but the point it that if this game were done with a regular controller it would be very boring and tedious. The gameplay is very engaging, the items are neat and fun, and if you're into a good puzzle game, it's great.

I've heard complaints about the voice/sound effects. But I was stoked because although the characters don't speak, you can tell they didn't change the Japanese language track. I know "hardcore gamers" are going to complain about the cartoon look, but honestly I don't think this kind of gameplay will suit them anyways. I think there might be too much thinking involved for them to play this one.

The only other complaint I heard was about the story but I'm a big One Piece fan. It's an anime about pirates and the main character's quest to be the Pirate King. Zack is out to become the best Pirate ever and there's a lot of similarities with th anime so immediately I had something to relate to. So, I'm good on story.

It's a great game and it's a shame that it will do horribly in sales. I'm glad that Capcom brought it over here and for 39.99 it's a welcome price cut. I have high hopes for Galaxy, and Miyamoto will probably deliver but if not, Zack & Wiki will probably win some Wii awards from me at the end of the year.

David

No response to “The Quest for a Good Wii Game”