28 July 2007

Jeanne D'Arc Impressions

So I got a demo of Jeanne D'Arc (translation: Joan of Arc) for the PSP yesterday. It's a tactical RPG being published by Sony and Developed by Level 5. So I dusted off my PSP and then....had to charge it and then I got to playing the demo. It' seems to be a pretty solid RPG. You've got all the pretty characters, attacks, spells, and items. All pretty standard. But that's the thing. I can't really tell what I should be getting excited about. The maps are quite big and there are some really nice anime cutscenes. But other than that it just seems like any old tactical RPG. I understand that RPGs are very story driven games and playing a couple demo levels isn't exactly fair when coming up with impressions about it. But again, the story of Joan of Arc is not something we are all completely oblivious to. And also, I am a little put off by the Half-man Half-Lion character that accompanies Jeanne (I'm guessing their not going for historical accuracy) and also her Power Ranger transformation into a super-being through the power of God. Now I'm not as big of a tactical RPG fan as Brad so my impression of Jeanne D'Arc are going to be less intelligent. I would like to see something new in the tactical gameplay element. Disgaea for example made it so that you could tell all your characters to do their actions at once or one by one. They also used the pick-up-a-partner mechanic that allowed players to use brains to come up with new ways to reach enemies otherwise unreachable. It seems like the uniqueness in this PSP game is that they base it off of something historical. Everything else looks pretty standard. But again this is just off of playing the demo.

One response to “Jeanne D'Arc Impressions”

Brad said...

We shall see I suppose. Like you said, it is hard to analyze the depth of a strat/rpg from a demo. I 'm glad I never got a chance to demo the first few levels from Final Fantasy Tactics. From what I understand Jean de'Arc is a solid game all around. That goes a long way nowadays.

And remember Disgaea was an earlier NIS strat/rpg. NIS has on several occassions taken "different" to a whole new level of craziness. Some of their experiments have been pretty awful.

I do have faith in Level 5 to at the very least deliver an above average strat/rpg for the PSP. I think it will be a welcome addition to its library.