02 July 2007

The Fear of Four

I've started to play Resident Evil Four for the Wii. There are other factors for me playing it, but the main one is that Nick recommended it to me for our Eye for an Eye section. I've always stayed away from survival horror games because I'm basically a chicken. I was born in the year of the Rooster if that has anything to do with it. I get too anxious and nervous. On top of that I have genes that cause me to sweat profusely, if anyone has seen me play DDR they can vouch for that. The first time I played the opening sequence of RE4 on the GameCube I was drenched after dying after running around for a few minutes.

I do enjoy survival horror games but mostly as an observer. I like to sit back as an audience member and watch the story unfold. So when I take the Wii Controller in my hands, it's a completely different experience. What makes it worse is that I've seen RE4 beaten in it's entirety, so I know what going to happen. I have an idea of where guys will jump out, where the hard parts will be at, and what kind of bosses I'll have to face. That makes the game ever harder for me because instead of being thrown into it clueless and having to deal with what comes along, I'm now remembering what's ahead and I get overwhelmed at what I'll have to overcome in the future. Out of everything in the game, that will definitely be the hardest for me to get over.

No response to “The Fear of Four”