07 June 2007

Planet Puzzle League Woes

I had some store credit burning a hole in my pocket so I decided to head down to my local Gamestop yesterday. I picked up Planet Puzzle League because I have always been a fan of the Puzzle League/Tetris Attack puzzle game series.

The game is pretty great. The touch screen seems the most natural progression for the series at this point. The control is fast and responsive and I don't ever see myself ever going back to the old style. The "book" method of holding the DS is great for this game because it lets you see so much of the play field. The game has great music (I noticed some Advance Wars remixes), and a visual style reminiscent of Lumines. It seems though that all the stages, block styles, and the many game modes are available right from the start. And this is my one major problem with the game. It's as if the game is missing something important to its genre.

I've played quite a bit of Lumines and Meteos in recent months. For me the motivation to play those games single player modes was the satisfaction of unlocking new content as I got better at the core game. In Puzzle League I just select a mode, then a stage, and then a block style. And then I play till I die. Then I try a different stage style and repeat. It's hard for me to keep my interest.

This sounds a bit whiny I'm sure, but it is my only major problem with the game. I would love to see that there is unlockable content, so if anyone knows for sure, post a comment. I will keep playing the many game modes and definitely try out multiplayer soon. Expect further impressions or a full review on the site or an upcoming podcast.

No response to “Planet Puzzle League Woes”