21 June 2007

Have You Played...

...Psi Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy?

You know how at its core, the Spiderman Movie game series is seemingly terrible? Poor implementation of the “sandbox” genre at its worst. Lame graphics, repetitive missions, stupid boss fights, uninspired city design, sad combat and AI, empty world, and the list goes on. So why do so many people enjoy playing it? Why do I love the series and recommend it often? Because it does one thing so well that it transcends all the faults of the genre it failed to emulate; and at the end of the day (or the few hours it takes to beat the game)... I remain pleased.

Like the web-slinging in the Spiderman game or a grenade toss in Halo, Psi Ops implements an effect so fun that it transcends the weak shell of an action game that surrounds it. Playing with telekinesis in Psi Ops is some of the most fun I've had with a video game all of last generation. Combine intuitive control, rag-doll bodies, and the Havok physics engine, and now you have some of the most innovative design in an action game to date. Throwing objects at the enemy Half Life 2 style is hardly the end of the fun in this game.


A typical encounter with a pack of enemies may go like this: I levitate one guy and immediately smack him against the wall. He takes damage but is still alive so I quickly toss him into a furnace he regrettably stood too close to. The guy next to him I lift up, and as he struggles to get free of my telekinesis, I unload a few rounds into him. Now I throw the still floating carcass into a pack of enemies coming up behind him. They all tumble into a wall and I pick up the pieces with my pyrokinesis ability. I grin as my character walks past the flaming bodies and into the next area. Violence has become fun again... something I forgot playing the Gran Theft Auto games of recent years. The faults of the game are many... most notably some really terrible boss fights. ...Well except for one. Let's just say that an encounter in a train yard verses an adversary with a much stronger telekinesis power than yours is a scary sight.


If you haven't played this game, you need to give it a try. It can be found dirt cheap at a used game store. This won't be the best game you will ever play, but you might have a lot of fun. I hope the guys who worked on this title are around somewhere working on a next-gen sequel, because they have created something cool here.


If you have played and enjoyed the game, post a comment. Help me spread the word.


No response to “Have You Played...”