28 December 2007

Fenix Wong - *Spoilers* Maybe?

So I've really liked the Fenix Wong series. I loved the first one all though the last DS only add-on case was entirely too long and complicated. I've been playing the second game now on and off all year. I'm on the final case and I just want to put the game down. Even if I end up finishing this one, I don't see myself wanting to pick up the next Fenix game ever. I love the story and the characters. I even picked Fenix and Myah as one of my favorite duos. But the trial and error game play has no room for growth. I can't see where there's any room for improvement in the series. The first few missions in both games were fun but still made you think. I could see that being the case in the third one. But the last mission I could see just being a headache. I understand that the difficulty in games have to ramp up. But how can you effectively make logic more difficult with out making it confusing or frustrating? I wish there was just more than selecting a choice and then being told whether it was wright or wong.

I'll try to give my example without spoiling the story here, if you are worried about spoilers then skip this part. I'm basically in a case where I have to delay the trial until valuable evidence arrives. I don't know what the evidence is but I know it will help me somehow. Unlike reality, me delaying the trial does not have anything to do with actual time, so I don't really feel like I'm delaying anything. It's cool that the developers tried to use this mechanic to freshen up the the game play but it's turns out just being a perfume to mask the fact that you're actually just doing the same thing you've always been doing. It's tricky cause your witness is on a radio testifying (don't ask me how this is even legal in a courtroom). If you badger him too much or say something he doesn't like, he'd going to take off and that's basically the end of the trial but you need to get the truth out of him as well. So it becomes a game of question A, yes or no. If you select the correct answer, you move on to more yes or no questions. If you select select the wrong one, start over. Again, there's multiple point in his testimony you can do this and eventually you have to present evidence which I have no clue which one to do.

I've come to the point where I just want to finish the game. Whenever I hit a small hiccup I just want to look up the answer and move on, even if I can work it out by thinking about it. If not for Granger giving me the video game integrity speech, I'd be finished and wouldn't be posting this. As you can see from my last two post, I've been up pretty early so maybe I'm just cranky from lack of sleep. Plus my bowel movements are all screwed up. So I guess thanks for listening.

David

PS - One question that came to mind. Is the series this confusing in Japanese? I mean maybe all this makes sense in Japanese. Certain things can't get translated perfectly so they just have to do the best they can and that's where some of the difficulty and confusion sets it?

No response to “Fenix Wong - *Spoilers* Maybe?”