28 August 2007

Bioshock First Impressions

Aside from the fact that I have to restart the game due to my complete lack of 360 knowledge, I have been having a great time playing Bioshock. Even in my crappy SD TV I was instantly blown away by the looks of the game. I'm not quite sure what it is about the setting that draws me in so much. I do know that the architecture of the world is literally stunning and every time I hear some old-timey music coming from somewhere I get very very excited. Never before have I been so willing to explore an environment in an atmosphere so creepy. A game like silent hill has me reaching for the power button instantly, but in this game the creepy enemies are just getting in the way of the world I'm trying to soak in. I happily place my wrench in the face of many a splicer.


The combat is pretty awesome. I love the variety so far, but this has been discussed many times elsewhere. Therefore I'll only discuss my initial complaints with what I've come across in terms of combat. These are very minor and my only real problem with the game so far. First is that I don't feel like I'm really laying waste to my enemies when I use my guns. They just seem to eat the bullets until they die. I want those splicers to look like they have just been shot in the face when... well... I shoot them in the face. The only other issue I'm having is the "ammo" for the wicked plasmids you get in the game. Every plasmid I've come across so far is a blast to use, but I simply melt through the ammo every time I encounter an enemy. It is evil to give us players so much fun stuff to use but really limit how much we can actually use it. I often stick to using my wrench in order to save up for harder fights. I would have preferred a rechargeable bar for plasmid usage instead of what we have. This is by no means game breaking for me and is indeed a problem that may be rectified as I progress through the game.


Friggen awesome.... and I have to start over. But unlike situations in the past where I lost a save and never retried, I will happily allow myself to get drawn back in.

No response to “Bioshock First Impressions”